Saturday, April 14, 2012

We're Alive



It's been a crazy, busy, fun year since I last posted. And when our camera didn't make it home from our Utah vacation at the beginning of the summer last year I kind of quit blogging. But thanks to a bonus at work, we have a camera again and I'm feeling like posting. Many fun things have been happening lately. Most important was Cailah's decision to be baptized. She decided to wear the same dress as Abby did. Phew. :) Made it once, worn twice. Think I'll get lucky enough that Delayna will love it too? Abby let her borrow the necklace Grandma and Grandpa Tolman had given her for her baptism too. I love moments when they show a connectedness and love for each other. Cailah was thrilled that Gunnar agreed to come and baptize her and have her dad confirm her. I honestly don't know that I've ever seen someone so excited for her baptism. She jumped up and down when she spoke to Gunnar. She was so happy. Abby was so happy for her that she cried and even came for a hug, which doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to. I may or may not have joined her. The picture to the left is an attempt at a redo. When I started taking pictures Cailah looked up at Gunnar so adoringly while Gunnar smiled at the camera. Every bit of love and admiration she has for him showing clearly on her face. Sadly, the camera had been set on video and I missed it, but such a reminder of the influence we have on others and the power of relationships. Even if we are completly unaware that anyone is looking at us. Cailah only gets to see Gunnar about once a year now, speaks with him about as often, but he's never far from her mind and she loves him. It's impressive. It doesn't suprise me that Mike and I think of him and every day. But it continually surprises me the strength of the bond the children feel. Even Delayna who has seen him a total of 4 or 5 times in her life and surely has forgotten most of those meetings. She still speaks about him regularly and sometimes cries when he isn't here. It's bittersweet. But I'm grateful for the loving bonds between our children. Even if they are sometimes hard to see. Forever relationships, that's what it's all about. That will be my mantra while I help Delayna clean the couch. But that's a story for another day.

No comments: