Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Ducks


Every spring we eagerly anticipate the nesting of the momma duck. The kids have named her, but I can't remember it right now. They also see her all around town and are convinced they can pick her out of a group. Cracks me up. But I digress. She and the papa duck came and prepared their nest as they always do. Its a little low to the ground bush in the front yard that they've pulled the center out of and they just fix it up a little every spring. It's a prickly little thing so why she wants to sit there all day . . . I suppose it keeps other creatures away from the eggs. Anyway we enjoy checking on her when she's sitting on the eggs and checking out the nest when she leaves for a little bit in the evening. We've even seen the ducklings when they've just hatched, but have never seen them leave. One day they are there and the next they are gone. Saturday we had just walked in the house after enjoying the soccer games and their was a BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG (ok you get the idea) at the door. I felt like throttling the child doing it, but it was Josh coming to let us know our ducks were leaving. (All is forgiven) We gathered the troops and ran outside and there they were. I wish I had video taped it. totally cute. We are happy to say the mystery is solved. They head across the street throught the neighbors yard and to the canal runs behind it. Four years and I didn't realize the canal was just across the street. Don't even say it. Anyway it was awfully cute and the kids were so excited. So glad we got to see it.

No comments: